The Grand Island Riverdogs are a select baseball organization – not travel baseball. We work to play home doubleheaders on our own fields at the Platt Duetschee!
The Grand Island Riverdogs Baseball organization was started in 2007 with the purpose of providing Grand Island youth the opportunity to play select baseball in the comforts of Grand Island. What started as a single team a decade ago has grown to an organization of 8 to 14-year olds, with multiple teams competing at high levels.
The mission of the Grand Island Riverdogs is to provide players with quality instruction from a superior coaching staff in order to learn the basic fundamentals of the game of baseball, and to develop the best skills possible in order to compete at the highest level now and in their future baseball careers.
The objective of the Grand Island Riverdogs is to teach our kids that the game of baseball is more than bats, balls, gloves and uniforms. Through the game of baseball, our organization wants to avail to our children the opportunity to learn the aspects of teamwork; the virtues of character, courage and loyalty; the respect for authority; and the self-discipline that enables them to lead our nation tomorrow.
The Grand Island Riverdogs play is governed by USSSA rules and regulations.
- Exclusive use of two Platt Duetsche Baseball fields which are beautifully maintained and have lights and scoreboards.
- Exclusive use of Oak Field for 13 & 14-year-olds.
- Concession stands are provided by the Platt Duetsche at every home game.
- Optional Winter indoor practices and batting cages starting January 1 st thru March once per week.
- Two 90-minute field practices during the season and one additional 60 min batting/pitching cage practice Every week starting in March focusing on fundamentals, pitching, situational defense, base running, hitting, and much more.
- 60% of games are required to be within the Tri-cities.
- Minimum of 28 games and maximum of 44 games depending on the age of the team.
- Participation in USSSA Baseball Tournaments, Double Headers, and possibly one out-of-state tournament to be decided by each coach.
- Participation in USSSA State Baseball tournament.
- Umpires are provided for all home games.
- Two Riverdogs hosted tournaments in Grand Island: The Todd Elsbernd Memorial (AAA, Majors) and the Diamond Challenge (A, AA).
- Participation in the Jake Gillespie Home Run Derby (Ages 10 & above).
- Exclusive use of all equipment provided including but not limited to hitting nets, tees, practice balls, game balls, catcher equipment, and helmets if needed.
- Scholarships are available for financial needs to cover fees.
- Fundraising and sponsorship opportunities are available.
- Bi-laws set and Board of Directors to keep the organization managed and all teams treated equally.
7u and 8u – Developmental – Repetition of fundamentals and rules of the game to develop a firm understanding and love for the game. Potential to play for the same coach and teammates for the next 8 years. All 7 and 8-year-olds welcome.
9u – 14 u – Competitive – Plays some of the best competition in Nebraska with the option to play one out-of-state tournament.
|2021||12U Red||MAJOR Silver Champions||Casper|
|2021||12U White||AA Gold Champions||Winget|
|2019||14U White||A Champions||Chrastil|
|2018||09U Red||AAA Champions||Semm, Gellatly, Schneider|
|2018||09U White||A Runner Up||Winget, Towler, Meyer, Schumacher|
|2018||10U Red||AAA Runner Up||Fredrickson, Galvan, Haubold, Fredrickson|
|2018||11U Red||AA Runner Up||Hubl, Gannon, Rein|
|2018||13U Red||AAA Champions||Kleint, Kemmet, Leiting|
|2018||13U White||A Champions||Chrastil, Coslor, Kuusela, Michalski|
|2017||09U Red||AA Runner Up||Galvan, Haubold|
|2017||13U Red||AAA Silver Champions||Myers, Sextro|
|2016||10U Red||AA Gold Runner up||Foley|
|2015||10U Red||AA Runner Up||Klient|
|2015||11U Red||AAA Gold Runner up||Myers, Sextro|
|2014||08U Red||AA Runner up||Foley|
|2014||10U Red||AAA Gold Runner up||Myers, Sextro|
|2014||11U Red||AAA Gold Champions||Hartman|
|2013||13U Red||AAA Gold Runner up||Narber|
|2011||11U Red||AAA Gold Champions||Narber|
|2011||12U Red||AA Runner up||Stevenson, Wenzl|
|2009||13U Red||AA Champions||Stevenson, Bricker|
|2008||12U Red||AA Runner up||Stevenson, Bricker|
|Cole Evans||2011-2016||GISH 2019||Creighton University, Division I|
|Vann Stevenson||2008-2013||GICC 2017||McCook Community College|
|Alec Lee||2011-2013||GISH 2016||Southeast Community College, Beatrice, NCJAA|
|Matt Lamb||2011-2013||GISH 2016||Missouri S&T, Division II|
|Ryan Krolikowski||2011-2013||GISH 2016||Cloud County Community College, Kansas, NCJAA|
|Parker Upton||2009-2012||GISH 2016||Creighton University, Division I|
|Calvin Hehnke||2009-2012||GISH 2015||University of Nebraska-Omaha, Division I|
|Riley Baasch||2009-2012||GISH 2015||Bellevue University, NAIA|
|Phoenix Stevenson||2008-2011||GICC 2014||University of Nebraska-Kearney, Division II|